What will my first week look like?
When you arrive, it might be your first visit to Pioneer TEC. Maybe you’re here to see what we’re all about, are on a short term placement or perhaps this is the day you move in. Whatever the reason, you’ll be made to feel welcome and as if you’re part of TEC Life already – we’re accepting of everyone, regardless of the reason why you’re here or for how long.
The Manager of either the Centre or the Lodges and a keyworker will welcome you, give you a full guided tour, and introduce you to the team on the day. You’ll get to see your bedroom, take a sneak peek at the activities you might be taking part in, and get acquainted with some of the residents there already.
We believe that each and every individual who comes through our doors needs a space to chill out and feel at home. All our bedrooms come with clean bed sheets and towels, as well as toiletries. You’ll have the opportunity to go shopping for your favourite food, shampoos, and other bits and bobs. You can also bring some of your favourite things with you, for example, games consoles, make-up, or books. Just tell your social worker and they’ll talk to us – and we can see how best to accommodate them. On top of all that you can have access to one of our resident therapy dogs if you want.
Your keyworker will take the lead on your well-being and safety, but every single staff member is here to help you settle and ensure you make the most of the opportunities available at Pioneer TEC.
Your keyworker will:
- Talk to you at the end of the day to find out how you got on and make sure you have what you need
- Ensure the team is doing what we have said we will do
- Offer support, particularly if you’re finding things strange – which is very common
Your first week is certainly full on – in a good way! You’ll completely immerse yourself in TEC Life, working through team building and group activities, getting to know other students who you might end up training, working, living and socialising with.
You’ll be introduced to the staff and get a taste of what the courses have to offer, as well as focusing on your own individual needs and seeing how these fit into TEC Life.
Your introductory session is more than just telling you what to do and what not to do – it’s about talking through your options, letting you get a feel for the place, and opening your eyes to TEC Life and the opportunities on offer.
What will the daily routine be like?
Having a daily routine is important for you, the staff and the other residents. It provides a sense of structure, which ensures you’re aware of what’s happening each day. When you come to live at Pioneer TEC, your daily routine may look something like this:
- Breakfast is 8.00am on a weekday within your own lodge and at the weekend you can have a lie in, if you want
- You’ll walk the 2-3 minutes from your lodge to Pioneer TEC’s school building for 9:30am and the first activity for the day
- Lunch will be in the school building with other students, instructors, and teaching staff where you can talk about what you’ve been doing and have a bit of free time
- At home time (3:00pm) you’ll walk back to your lodge, have a snack and start your chosen after school activity
- Teatime is varied: it depends on your hobbies or afterschool activities, but this is the time we sit down together and talk about our day
- We then settle in for the evening in the lodge. You can watch TV or a DVD, play computer games, chat and spend social time together, have snacks , shower, change, do a quick tidy of your room, and just enjoy the night
All our staff and students are all provided with Pioneer TEC branded casual kit to be worn during school hours. We want you to feel a part of Pioneer TEC and to be proud to be part of our residential community as well as to wear, wash and take care of your own team kit.
Not only is it important that you feel part of the community, it is also important as part of our Independent Living Skills Programme, that you learn to take pride in yourself, your appearance and the clothing you wear.